2014年5月6日星期二

Annotated Bibliography



Asmus Freytag, Rick McGowan, and Ken Whistler. “UTN #27: Known Anomalies in Unicode Character Names.” N. p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2014.
               This document lists many known anomalies in the formal character names in the Unicode Standard. Unicode Standard is a system that provides different language characters with one standard character set. The purpose of setting this system is reducing the quantity of mapping system. If every kind of language has its own mapping rules, we need to download different character set and install different input methods to type different language. However, nothing is perfect. There are many anomalies in Unicode Standard.
               This document is very detailed and professional. The author almost listed all mistakes in Unicode Standard. However, this document is just like a dictionary. And we may feel boring during reading. Readers without knowledge about Unicode will also be confused about this document.
               The item related to my research is Suzhou numeral. My research topic is about mistakes of using Chinese elements in BBC TV show Sherlock. Suzhou numeral is key code in season 1, episode 2. They just call it as Hangzhou numeral. In Unicode Standard, characters of Suzhou numeral are named Hangzhou numeral. And I think it is not only a misnomer but also a kind of misunderstanding about China. Unicode Standard is created by western people especially English speaking people because keyboard of computer and mapping system of English is remain in Unicode. Suzhou and Hangzhou have different local culture. But they are just the same in western people’s mind because Suzhou is near Hangzhou and both known as beautiful sight. So they made that mistake. That’s the reason why western screen writer often use Chinese elements incorrectly.

Chou, Chih-P’ing. “A Historian Looks at Chinese Painting.” English Writings of Hu Shih. Ed. Chih-P’ing Chou. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013. 141–147. link.springer.com. Web. 28 Apr. 2014. China Academic Library.
               This article is talking about Chinese painting. The author analyzes the development of Chinese painting in a historical way. He compared Chinese painting with Chinese music, poetry, novel and architecture.
               Author provides many examples and tells some stories to support his point of view. Providing examples are usually common way to convince audiences. Telling stories could attract audiences and make audiences easy to understand the content. The disadvantage of this article is structure. The structure of this essay is not very clear. So I am confused in some places.
               Actors in BBC TV show Sherlock use an image of Japanese painting as Chinese painting. I need to provide evidence to support that. So I will talk about difference about Chinese painting and Japanese painting in my research paper. I can find some information about feature of Chinese painting in this article.

Chiba, Reiko. Painted Fans of Japan : Fifteen Noh Drama Masterpieces. Boston: Tuttle Publishing, 2012. Print.
       Chiba offered us 15 Noh-Drama masterpieces of painted fans. Chiba told us a lot of usage of fans in ancient Japan. For instance, Fans could be used to geisha performance. But the most famous usage is for Noh-drama. Noh-Drama is a kind of drama which combine music dance and drama. Fans would be used in performance. Chiba offers 15 beautiful painted fans of Noh-Drama and explanation.
       Chiba provides Japanese culture by a 43 pages little books. We can briefly get some ideas about Noh-drama. And Chiba provides vivid pictures for us. Though there are explanations of every fan, we still can’t get enough information about culture.
       One of those painted fans is Chinese countries. The time of image is in Tang dynasty. Japan got a lot of knowledge from China in Tang dynasty and we can see that traditional cloth of Japan is similar with clothes in Tang. It could be one of the reason that western people could not distinct Chinese and Japanese. In my research, I found that Sherlock use a Japanese painting to present a Chinese painting.

Asmus Freytag. “Character folding.” N. p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2014.
               This report identifies a set of character foldings, it is also called searching term folding. It’s a kind of mapping. In Unicode system, we put a series character into a same folder. Suzhou numeral is a series of character. So they are put into a character folding. Unfortunately, they made a mistake when they do this. Suzhou numeral was named as Hangzhou numeral.
               This report is a professional paper. Structure is clear and completed. But there are too many information in it. And there are just some lists in article. We can’t realize them easily.
               I will talk about Suzhou numeral in my research paper. I could explain mapping system and Unicode better rely on this article and too many examples.

“Creating National Image: A New Mission of Film and TV Art” Journal of School of Chinese Language and Culture Nanjing Normal University. 2007.Web. 3 May 2014.
               This paper shows that China could create national image by film and TV art. Authors believe that the competition between different films is the competition between different countries. Films and TV arts could present a county’s national image. Chinese national image is not widely known by western countries. There are still many misunderstanding of China. So it’s necessary to create some representative film and TV arts to show new Chinese national images.
               The structure and logical of this paper is clear. I can easily get mean idea of every part. And I strongly agree with authors’ point of view. But authors didn’t talk about how could Films and TV arts do to create powerful and impressive national images of China. I think it will be better to come up with some idea, so that audiences are provided a visual future of new future Chinese image.
               I always believe that western people didn’t understand Chinese culture because they are not care about Chinese. Now I know that western people may don’t have enough resources. I will explain why many western people misunderstand Chinese culture in my research paper. The idea about national image could be one of the reasons which I didn’t think about before.

Elisabeth Reh. “A Study in Gender - BBC’s Sherlock, Masculinity and Gender Identities in the Transmedia Fandom.” N. p., n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
               This study is gender study of BBC’s Sherlock. Author first talk about different version about Sherlock then turn to BBC’s Sherlock. BBC’s Sherlock is the most successful version of all of others. However, many fans are not interested about detection but the relationship between Sherlock and John.
               This study is very detailed but I think author didn’t emphasis the mean point during narratives. And there are many extra information is extra. It will make audience confused. And I also want to know more about Irene Adler.
               The primary resource of my project is BBC’s Sherlock. What I will do in my research is analyzing the Sherlock. I think I could get some useful information from this study. I could analyze why western counties misunderstand by others from why screen writer such a story.

John Huey-Long Song, and John Dombrink. “Asian Emerging Crime Groups: Examining the Definition of Organized Crime.” Criminal Justice Review 19.2 (1994): 228–243. cjr.sagepub.com. Web. 2 May 2014.
               This paper studied the structures of Asian criminal gang especially in Japan, Chinese and Vietnam. In China, there are three kind of gang: Triad, tang and street gang. Different gangs have different structure but they still have some elements in common. For example, almost every gang is violently. Every kind of gang needs a leader and the leader is very powerful. The author s did a lot of research about history of those gangs.
               Whole paper is divided into three mean parts talking about three mean countries. It’s a good way for readers to understand easily. I think this paper is very good. Maybe the only problem is it talks too much about China.
               There is a criminal gang in the BBC TV show S1E2. That gang is tang. And the tang did some illegal trade between China and British. The description of that gang is not really true. This paper will introduce the tang as a kind of Chinese gang. So I can exam but that difficulties 

Zhang, Hong. “Chinese Numerals.” Journal of East Asian Linguistics 16.1 (2007): 43-59. Web.27 Apr. 2014.
               This article is about ancient Chinese numerals including Shang numeral, rod numeral, Suzhou numeral and some normal numerals. Suzhou numeral began in Song. It was used in business. And it was popular in Hong Kong until 1990s.
               It’s a very brief conclusion about Chinese numerals. It explained well but there are no examples or other related resources. Pictures provide for us is very necessary for us.
               In BBC’s Sherlock, Sherlock didn’t know Suzhou numeral at the first. And it blocked the process of detective. I will use these resources to explain the history and feature of Suzhou numeral.

Gihwala, D. et al. “Analysis of Chinese Porcelains and Ceramics.” The South African Archaeological Bulletin 40.142 (1985): 96. CrossRef. Web. 6 May 2014.
This paper analyzed Chinese porcelains and ceramics. Chinese porcelains and ceramics are symbols of China. There is some Chinese porcelain and ceramics are found in the South African. And experts did research about those things.
This paper is a little bit academic. Authors make some important information, but I am not interested in those parts. But the topic itself is interesting. It’s a quantity research. It has survey before the activity.
There is some Chinese porcelain and ceramics in BBC TV show Sherlock. In BBC’s Sherlock S1E2, a woman called Yao Suling put tea into ceramic teapot every day to make the teapot shining. That’s true, but normal people can’t notice the different between different teapots. However, teapot with tea is totally different with another one. That’s seems strange. And I can use some part of this paper about proection.

Zhang Qiu Hanqin, and Terry Lam. “An Analysis of Mainland Chinese Visitors’ Motivations to Visit Hong Kong.” Tourism Management 20.5 (1999): 587–594. ScienceDirect. Web. 28 Apr. 2014.
This article talked about why Mainland Chinese visitors like to visit Hong Kong. The authors found that it is because Hong Kong could be a window of the world for mainland visitors.
       Hong Kong is the window of the western world for mainland people. It’s true. And the model which authors use is also true. But I just think this theory is out of style. Mainland people are eager to go western countries directly.
       This article could show the prejudice to Mainland people. Western counties know Chinese people through Hong Kong sometimes so that they will misunderstand mainland Chinese people.

Wang, Rong. “Progress Review of the Scientific Study of Chinese Ancient Jade.” Archaeometry 53.4 (2011): 674–692. Wiley Online Library. Web. 6 May 2014.
This is an academic study about ancient jade of China. Ancient jade is an important symbol of Chinese traditional culture. This study summarizes the situation of the research and prospects in the research on raw material.
This paper is a professional research paper about jade. There are some terms I could not understand well. But I still can understand this study. What I think good in this article is how to evaluate a good jade.
In BBC’s Sherlock, actors use a very cheap hairpin to resent a 9,000,000 ponds jade hairpin. Though it’s easy to see how different between two kinds of jade. I would like to use some academic words to explain that situation.

没有评论:

发表评论